-
January 24th, 2001, 07:26 PM
#1
Inactive Member
I have written a nice script, and now I want to start filming. First I will read some more books about filmmaking.
Now the big question: where and how can I find people that want to act in my short film? I need four people, if I want to follow what's in my script. I don't have the money to pay any fee, or whatever. I have heard about a film that only had actors that came from the directors family. They acted very well, actually. The film has been released in some art-house movie theaters. It's called "Clouds In May (aka "Wolken in Mei). Unfortunately, there is no acting talent within my family. I will have to look at other places. Any recommendations?
David
-
January 24th, 2001, 10:16 PM
#2
Inactive Member
Depends on where you're located, to some degree. If you're in a major urban area that has theatre/acting schools (for instance, most major colleges/universities), you can post notices that you're looking for actors. Be specific regarding the characteristics you're seeking (age, physical stuff, gender, etc), & what time commitment you'd expect. Be realistic. Note upfront (& I repeat: note upfront) that they will receive a free copy of the final film & film credits only. Many aspiring actors will find that sufficient while they try to build resumes...
Many of us would probably discourage using friends & family; too many problems. You're better off w/ aspiring pros & actors who've had some training...
Good luck!
/Pat
-
January 26th, 2001, 10:35 AM
#3
eddie
Guest
I agree totally, except if you think your script is good enough, and really want to make it then make it. The next film you make will of course be about 200% better, but you could always remake the first film again. Many people have done that. There are many reasons to do it.
The only reason I can think of *not* remaking your first film with your corker script is that you dont want to get bored with your story, or you have loads of other storys you want to get on with.
Other than that why not? Its your film, make it as you want, how you want, and as good as you want. I think a lot of big time directors have only made one film (although they have many on their CV.)
-
January 26th, 2001, 11:09 AM
#4
HB Forum Moderator
I agree with everything you just wrote...the part about redoing it is the ultimate paradox....You want to move on...yet you know if you did it again, it would probably be better.....
Unless you get really good actors the first time around who really make an impact.
The whole scheduling thing may frustrate you more than you realize...
Perhaps David should consider just making a short music video to his favorite song first...just to get used to the whole Super-8 filmmaking process....If you really want a taste...find a band and make a music video for them...(well, on second thought...that just might be too much of a learning experience.)
Simple, short and sweet...all the problems you encounter on your music video shoot will be help teach you and prepare you for your other project.
Alex
[This message has been edited by Alex (edited January 27, 2001).]
-
January 26th, 2001, 04:29 PM
#5
HB Forum Moderator
Something does not add up for me.
You will experience a metoric rise in your filmmaking skills from the first project to the second and the second to the third.
If your script is good, do you want to risk your first project on your good script...especially when you are not sure where to get the actors from....
The odds are great that your first project will be an excellent learning tool for you...so be prepared to sacrifice your first project for a huge gain in knowledge.
Now imagine taking your beloved script and throwing the only copy of it into a campfire.....
Do you scream in agony, or watch it burn with fascination.
If you selected A.-Scream in Agony...make your first project be something other than a script you feel is good....
UNLESS, you feel you have dozens more good scripts in you to tap at a moments notice...then film away and disregard this post in it's entirety.
Actors can always be found at your local theatre group....just remember that acting for the camera is significantly different than acting for the stage.
...Please record good audio and use a good sound guy...or don't even bother...unless it is M.O.S. with music and effects to be added later....!
What part of the country are you shooting in?
And Besides feeding your crew something decent, avoid 12 hour days and try to pay your actors and crew gas money EVERY SHOOT DAY...even if it's $5.00 or $10.00 dollars in an envelope.
If they take it, they'll be back, if they don't, they won't.
Alex
-
February 1st, 2001, 10:18 PM
#6
Inactive Member
I definitely agree with filming a music video first. I took my camera and color film out to the George Washington bridge in NY at sunset and, after spending 10 hours editing in my room (first attempt), came out with what is in some ways my favorite piece. Most songs are about 3+ minutes, the length of a 50 ft film cartridge. Also, since music videos are not usually narrative, the making of such a film encourages you to maximize your use of footage- it's kind of like doing a puzzle. Following a script will cause you to use much less of the footage you've shot, because it "just doesn't look quite right."
Bueno Suerte
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks